Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District Sewer Lateral Inspection Ordinance
What You Need to Know About The New Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District Sewer Lateral Inspection Ordinance
The Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District adopted a sewer lateral ordinance late last year.
The ordinance was adopted on November 21st, 2019, with an implementation date of January 1, 2020. The ordinance introduces a Sewer lateral inspection process, so it is important for Marin REALTORS® to learn and understand the implications of the new regulation.
Given the short period of time between adoption and implementation, there are likely to be a few challenges as the new ordinance rolls out.
Though the Marin REALTORS® opposed this ordinance and mounted a call to action campaign to mobilize members and the public against it, the association is working with the LGVSD to communicate the requirements to the REALTOR® and homeowner community. We will continue to offer input on how to make compliance as easy as possible for you and your clients.
Here are some of the key points of the new ordinance. You can read the full text of the ordinance here.
An inspection is required:
- Upon the sale or transfer of a property within the LGVSD except for the following exempted circumstances:
- Transfer to heir by fiduciary while dealing with estate issues are exempted
- Transferring from one co-owner to another is exempted
- Divorce transfers are exempted
- Foreclosures are exempted; however, the sale of the foreclosure is not.
- The ordinance has a trigger of a $30,000 building permit. Permits at or above this price will require a sewer lateral inspection.
- In the case of a sewer overflow
- Permits are also required for new construction or connecting a new building to an existing lateral.
- The Sewer Lateral Inspection application form is posted on the LGVSD webpage.
- The LGVSD also offers assistance by means of low interest loans. More information can be found by clicking
- Please note that the LGVSD does not currently have a Frequently Asked Questions section. Your feedback will be important in building this section out.
Please send any feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. Romeo will be passing along member feedback to the sanitary district in an organized and constructive manner.
How to Apply for an Inspection
Applications must be made in person at the LGVSD or by mail.
- Payment is currently by check or cash only. The LGVSD does not currently accept credit cards but will likely implement credit card payments in the future.
- The application fee is $250 for a 10 business day turnaround
- There is an expedited fee for a 5 business day turnaround.
- For questions regarding the Application please call 415.472.1734
- It is important to note that the LGSVD office hours are 6:30am – 3:00pm Monday – Friday.
You can download the application here.
The LGSVD offers the following tips to ensure timely processing of applications:
- Applications will not be processed without all of the information in the top box of the form on Page 1.
- For the Sewer lateral report form on page 3, the LGVSD does not need the entire plumbers report; only the plumber’s summarized highlights or main points are needed to process the report.